Saturday, December 20, 2008


Hi guys! Nothing is better than a few flights of fantasy.

Like me, you must have also heard about legends and myth, mostly part of folk lore. Abominable Man, famously known as Yeti or the lockhart legend from Europe, all such story has catch up fantasy and imagination of every young boy or girl while growing up. I too come across one of legend or I better say a myth. Time to share with you, as this is still not come out of my land and mystified the epic world.

I had heard the name Iltu, first time from my best pal; Chika.Chika as usual was the one who used to introduce me to the outer world.Chika has caught the picture of the world in his own canvas. I was his strong believer and I was in total awe to hear the story of Iltu as a 10 year old then.Iltu as to the local was a hermit who has been camping on the white cape mountain on the other side of the Valley of the thousand bears for the last 100 years. Few people had said to meet him while grazing sheep’s on the foothill of the Cape, on the shallow side of the valley. Nobody has dared to enter the Valley in the last hundred year, because what goes in never gets out. Legend says that Iltu was a local physician, who had served the people of the region for years but failed to fight the black epidemic. Thousands of people died and he saw all that helplessly. It has a moving effect on him and he went into a shell for years. He exiled himself to the foothill of valley. People from distant places, near places all places started flocking his abode to sanctify from his wisdom. He was a soothing figure to a region that has seen a few bad days lastly. But one day he disappeared to be never seen back by the commoner. Legend grew he draw a pact with DARK that he will not touch his region, if he leaves at once. From that day Iltu was the secret guard of the valley, And for some reason the valley and the region has no dark years in the next 100 years. Legend even grew stronger. Few people saw him, in all those year and people stopped entering the valley of 1000 bears. Reason for that I last heard was that it was now the territory of dark, you don’t enter his zone, and he don’t enter yours.

Well that was the people story,Chika had his own version. He told me that few months back he meets some German tracker who was on their way back from the valley. One of their own was lost.Chika had come to know the dark secret and know I was even knowing that “valley was abode of cannibals, that’s why no one entered it”. I had apprehensions about Chika’s story but He was my best friend,and he can never be wrong. Next day I asked then what about “Iltu”?Chika was ready with his answer.Chika told me He and his German friends concluded after discussion “Iltu” has turned into man eater and he created the legend to pray freely without being rediscovered. I asked him if he is still alive as people claim.Chika told yes he is “after eating human flesh you get extra life and that’s why people has spotted him.”Chika has told this version to me only and I have believed him. Folks would have laughed at him and kicked him to mock and question a revered.

Things remain same for years, I was 21, was studying science in an uptown college and Chika was a herdsman. I had returned to my village after 11 years. I had been a fellow of the Rational Community of India and now Iltu and his legend was all rubbish to me. I had meet Chika and first thing he told was that now Iltu eats his herd to keep himself alive. He won’t remorse till dark keep away from the villaige.i had two stories, one where he was revered and one where he was scared off. I was on a secret mission, had my chance to climb up in the Community. I told Chika we will enter the Valley of thousand bears with his herd and will have a faceoff with Iltu. Chika was not convinced and he did not want to risk his and my life for something that he knew for sure was not human. But like all good friends after two three powerful senti he was with me. We planned to enter the Valley at Dark. It was white light in the valley; snow has fallen a week ago. We can see up to distance in dark. I had my experience from numerous hunting expeditions I had taken part of earlier. Howling wolves were not good enough to scare us off. We walked all night with his herd to the centre of the valley. In morning I asked him to count his herd and it was all 30 in number, not one more not one less. My confidence has grown and I told Chika see how you people had been fooled for years.Chika as scared to death, he kept on repeating we have messed up with Dark and Iltu both, nothing can save us now. I asked him to shut up. We as planned will travel till the river source and return.

It was dusk, we have been walking for a long now, had not slept for in the last 24 hours. We decided to halt and have a break till morning. Camp was set up and we too sit next to each other talking about the scared people and there creations. We had our food and were getting ready to sleep near the fire. And then I heard a cry from far. I thought fear has treaded my fat skin too, but when I heard the second cry, I cannot hide my apprehension. I was gazing at Chika face.Chika by now had been murmuring his god’s name. I asked him to calm down, take the torch out we will go to the source. After five minute we were there. A Deer was trapped in the hunters trap and was crying in pain. I was wondering from my experience how can such traps be there in a forbidden valley. I searched around; it was a plot to ambush a snow leapord.People has been intruding this valley. Nothing has been guarding this valley.Iltu was all was a legend.Darkeness was rulings every where it was not confined to the Valley of Bears.Chika was trying to get the Deer out of trap, but it was too deep. Deer was crying with pain, restlessness has set up among both of us. I asked Chika to bring rope from the camp, I was not letting him cry to death’s was going down the trap to get him freed.

Chika was back, in few minute and I was ready to descend. I was down there with rope tied around my waist. I tried my best to tie and move the deer but to no effect .He was too heavy. Frustration creped in after few minutes. I cannot see the agony of animal, our minds were freezed, ke bus tab a flash light bathed the scene. I asked Chika what’s happening up there.Scilence proceeded for few minute till I saw a white man with a gun pointing towards me. I was sure this must be the heartless hunter, who had been poaching easy in the shades of legend.

Like always I was going to face another surprise. Chika was asking me to tie the knot again around the deer. So he must be a friend. With combined effort of stranger and Chika we pulled the deer out of the pot hole. He was in pain, before I can understand what was happening the white man was nursing the deer. I had an astonishing half an hour. The deer was better, was back on feet and limped into the dark.

Time for some who’ who? Chika was talking to the white man as he has known him before. I was feeling left out, before Chika introduced me to the Lost German. He was Doctor Urich, who was left behind during the expedition and so like against all odds planned to stay back in the valley and solve its mystery. He was fighting with the local forest department the poaching of the animal in the forbidden valley lately. Legend has made it tough for authorities to reach numbers but things were dwindling fast.

The German had given years in valley and he was the spotted Iltu in last few years.I was understanding the whole myth and the power of the legend, how it has been helping the valley. I had no plan to share the new secret with anyone. I had only one thing to tell people when I would return back. I too meet Iltu and he is for real. Protecting valley and the region from DARK. Nothing can harm us till he is guarding the frontier. Hope those mute but innocent creatures get their share of life till the legend rules my part of world.

Yours truly
Aj

4 comments:

west said...

this is for land of god

"legend exist in some form or other,it is still guarding is"

shivani said...

too goooooood ...........fabulous...................

amazingly beautiful

Saurabh Sharma said...

Wonderful bhai..like the way u put in the human angel in your fiction...Cheers..tht's the way forward for the blog..Kudos !!

west said...

Thnaks bro!!!

Just old monk takes me somewhere lese this time,,,,,,,

Post a Comment