Thursday, December 11, 2008



This is a book I read way back in 2004, when it holds very less meaning to me. Even after 4 years I do not agree or differ on this book relevance to an MBA or a Manager. Henry Mintzberg come out with this book in late 90’s.It’s his cry against the present day management and management institute, he categorically ask the question about what is taught in institute is implemented or what he learn through experience during work is more of importance. This book asks a few honest questions, but fails to deliver. It looks like a man’s attempt to raise the odds.
Let me share some excerpt from the book “What skill-set do you look for when you're looking to hire a manager or team leader? Do you prefer someone who has the technical background and expertise to do the job or someone who has the ability to teach someone else? I prefer to surround myself with MBWA's instead of MBA's. (MBWA's manage by walking around.)”.
This question ignites the long standing debate “managerial skill’s are inherent or at the best they can be sharpened with experience, it can not be taught through books, it all by sharing”.

From my own experience, I do agree on this front, form my two accounts of working I have been assigned managerial jobs. On both instance the skills that were imparted to me in classroom were of little relevance. It’s always been a continuous learning curve through out the job. It’s what you learn at job, that you use most of the time. And if you have the nature of getting involved in your work, have carried some relevant knowledge form classroom, you can always transfer it to work (Note I am convinced that its experience than theory that works).

I think Henry’s observation to carry your experience from work to classroom is a very valid. Indian institute should encourage this and we should see more and more manager’s learning concepts in classroom rather than MBA’s learning concepts in field.

I do recommend this book, as it does solve the purpose of writing it to an extent. It is a view of a learned teacher and he can debate at his level of expertise or some top Managers or people who shape big corporation can have some insight to even debate or assert his observations.

For us the the label of book appeals and that all for real it has to offer.

4 comments:

shivani said...

ohho serious stuff.........

Anonymous said...

Yo buddy..U didnt recommend us to go n buy a copy..so do lend me urs.. :)...and i do agree there is hardly any take-away from the classroom sessions..

Saurabh Sharma said...

and thanks for opening the account for our book-review section...This blog is now a synonymous to ur enthusiasm bhai...

west said...

Thanks bhai...

Eye of the Tiger

Post a Comment